Whenever I mention that I am a writer people always ask me if I have a blog. For a long time I didn’t. I didn’t know what the rules were or how to get started or if anyone would read it. Then I decided to just start one.
I started my blog for myself. I didn’t think anyone would read it, but it was a great outlet for me to express myself and share my ideas. It was just nice to see something I had written on the computer monitor framed in some cute little theme. I have had articles published in magazines, but those topics were often chosen for me. It felt nice to write about something that I wanted to write about. Much to my surprise I was not the only one who read my blog. I began to get followers.
I don’t have thousands of followers, but I have many more than I thought I would ever have. I am so thankful for them! I am really glad that I started this little blog.
After I started blogging I searched other blogs for advice and I found a lot of it to be very intimidating. If I had read some of these blog posts before starting my own blog I would have become discouraged. So I would like to share some of my own advice to anyone who is considering becoming a blogger.
- Just do it. There is no right or wrong way to start a blog. Don’t put any unnecessary pressure on yourself. You can learn along the way.
- Read other blogs. You can get lots of ideas from other people. I’m not saying copy what others are doing, but be inspired by them and form your own ideas from them.
- Blog about what you love and what you know. It doesn’t matter if there are tons of fashion blogs. If you want to blog about fashion you should. Although there may be others blogging about the same thing, you are the only You. No one can do exactly what you can do. We are individuals and have special and unique ideas to bring to the table.
- Plan your posts. I jot down little notes in a journal about things I want to write about. If an idea pops in your head make a note of it and find a way to work it into your blog.
- Ask for help. If you have a friend or acquaintance who has a successful blog ask them for help, but ignore any discouraging advice.
- Enjoy yourself. Blogging should not feel like a chore. Have fun with it. This is how you can share yourself with people all over the world.